Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hong Kong - Place of Wonders


Hong Kong – A Place of Wonders

Even though I have been in Hong Kong for more than two months, there is something about this place that I cannot seem to grasp. It is truly where the Eastern culture meets the Western culture, it is a place where the fusion of the virtues of both world creates something quite different from other world city, such as New York, London and Tokyo.
When I arrived in Hong Kong, what I expected are just a modern city such as New York/London but simply in Asia. Oh how wrong I was. As days passed, I noticed there are many parts in Hong Kong that makes Hong Kong what it is today.
From the busy area with skyscrapers of northern Hong Kong Island where all major financial institutions are to the crowded street of Tsim Sha Tsui and Mong Kok on Kowloon side and the peaceful mountains with beautiful beaches in Sai Kung, Hong Kong is simply a unique place to be in.
I could not imagine this when I am back home in Hawaii. Before coming to Hong Kong, I only have one perspective of what is classified as “Hong Kong” but as little as two months of living in Hong Kong, I opened my eyes to more perspective.

Compare to Honolulu, the business practice of Hong Kong is a fast-pace and work oriented. Unlike the tradition “Hawaiian Time” we experienced in Hawaii, Hong Kong is operating on a timely schedule. Proof of such is the MTR or, the Mass Transit Rail, it comes every few minutes with rarely any delay if ever! On the busy streets of Central or the crowded Tsim Sha Tsui, people are always in a hurry to get to where they want to be. Overall, it is a very rushed style.
Perhaps my biggest mistake is that I treated Hong Kong as just another world city when I arrived. I did not explored further into the culture of the city thus wasting a considerable time learning about the city. With as little as two months left, I will continue to explore the cultural aspect of Hong Kong and the people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment